Free NHS Health Check
Working together to improve your health
Everyone is at risk of developing heart disease, stroke, diabetes, kidney disease, and some forms of dementia. The good news is that these conditions can often be prevented – even if you have a history of them in your family. Have your free NHS Health Check and you will be better prepared for the future and be able to take steps to maintain or improve your health.
Why do I need an NHS Health Check?
We know that your risk of developing heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, kidney disease, and dementia increases with age. There are also certain things that will put you at even greater risk.
- being overweight
- being physically inactive
- not eating healthily
- drinking too much alcohol
- high blood pressure
- high cholesterol.
Both men and women can develop these conditions, and having one could increase your risk of developing another in the future.
- In the brain, a blocked artery or a bleed can cause a stroke.
- In the heart, a blocked artery can cause a heart attack or angina.
- The kidneys can be damaged by high blood pressure or diabetes, causing chronic kidney disease and increasing your risk of
having a heart attack.
- Being overweight and physically inactive can lead to type 2 diabetes.
- If unrecognised or unmanaged, type 2 diabetes could increase your risk of further health problems, including heart disease, kidney disease and stroke.
What happens at the check?
- This check is to assess your risk of developing heart disease, type 2 diabetes, kidney disease, and stroke.
- The check will take about 15–20 minutes.
- You’ll be asked some simple questions. For example, about your family history and choices which may put your health at risk
- We’ll record your height, weight, age, sex, and ethnicity.
- We’ll take your blood pressure.
- We’ll do a simple blood test to check your cholesterol level.
What happens after the check?
We will discuss how you can reduce your risk and stay healthy.
- You’ll be taken through your results and told what they mean.
- You’ll be given personalised advice on how to lower your risk and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- Some people may need to have another blood test to check for type 2 diabetes. Your health professional will be able to tell you more.
- Treatment or medication may be suggested to help you maintain your health.
- If your results indicate that you have a high risk of developing Cardiovascular Disease or if the health care professional is concerned about any of your results then you will be referred to your registered GP.
When are the checks taking place?
The checks are taking place throughout DCLT sites, see below for all dates and times. No booking required simply turn up on the day and our team will do the rest.
|Adwick Leisure Complex||
Tuesday 3rd July 2018 | 09.00-15.00
Wednesday 26th September 2018 | 09.00-15.00
Thursday 20th December 2018 | 09.00-15.00
Friday 22nd March 2019 | 09.00-15.00
|Armthorpe Leisure Centre||
Tuesday 10th July 2018 | 09.00-15.00
Wednesday 3rd October 2018 | 09.00-15.00
Thursday 3rd January 2019 | 09.00-15.00
Friday 29th March 2019 | 09.00-15.00
|Askern Leisure Centre||
Tuesday 17th July 2018 | 12.30-18.30
Wednesday 10th October 2018 | 12.30-18.30
Thursday 10th January 2019 | 12.30-18.30
Friday 5th April 2019 | 12.30-18.30
|Dearne Valley Leisure Centre||
Monday 7th May 2018 | 14.00-20.00
Thursday 2nd August 2018 | 14.00-20.00
Monday 22nd October 2018 | 14.00-20.00
Thursday 24th January 2019 | 14.00-20.00
Monday 15th April 2019 | 14.00-20.00
|Edlington Community Swimming Pool||
Thursday 17th May 2018 | 14.00-20.00
Thursday 9th August 2018 | 14.00-20.00
Thursday 1st November 2018 | 14.00-20.00
Thursday 31st January 2019 | 14.00-20.00
Thursday 25th April 2019 | 14.00-20.00
|Fitness Village Balby||
Tuesday 14th August 2018 | 14.00-20.00
Wednesday 7th November 2018 | 14.00-20.00
Thursday 7th February 2019 | 14.00-20.00
Friday 3rd May 2019 | 14.00-20.00
|Rossington Community Sports Village||
Monday 23rd July 2018 | 14.00-20.00
Tuesday 2st August 2018 | 14.00-20.00
Wednesday 14th November 2018 | 14.00-20.00
Thursday 14th February 2019 | 14.00-20.00
Friday 10th May 2019 | 14.00-20.00
|Rossington Community Swimming Pool||
Tuesday 28th August 2018 | 09.00-15.00
Wednesday 21st November 2018 | 09.00-15.00
Thursday 21st February 2019 | 09.00-15.00
Friday 17th May 2019 | 09.00-15.00
Monday 11th June 2018 | 15.00-21.00
Tuesday 4th September 2018 | 15.00-21.00
Wednesday 28th November 2018 | 15.00-21.00
Thursday 28th February 2019 | 15.00-21.00
Friday 24th May 2019 | 15.00-21.00
|Fitness Village Stadium||
Monday 18th June 2018 | 14.00-20.00
Tuesday 11th September 2018 | 14.00-20.00
Wednesday 5th December 2018 | 14.00-20.00
Thursday 7th March 2019 | 14.00-20.00
Friday 31st May 2019 | 14.00-20.00
|Thorne Leisure Centre||
Monday 25th June 2018 | 09.00-15.00
Tuesday 18th September 2018 | 09.00-15.00
Wednesday 12th December 2018 | 09.00-15.00
Thursday 14th March 2019 | 09.00-15.00
Friday 7th June 2019 | 09.00-15.00