Planting seeds and getting creative in the garden is an excellent outdoor activity for all ages and it can be very active too - digging. mowing and watering are all keeping you moving, and enabling children to become interestedin nature.
We will keep updating this page with up to date information on things you can plant and grow all year.
Fruit to sow and grow
February is a good time for planting the following fruits:
- Plant raspberry canes and blackberries, provided the soil isn't frozen or waterlogged.
- Plant redcurrants, whitecurrants, blackcurrants and gooseberries if soil conditions are right.
- Plant bare-root strawberry plants outside now. Replace plants that are 3 years old or more, as they will have lost much of their vigour.
- Plant stone fruit trees, such as apricots, peaches and nectarines.
- Plant rhubarb crowns in a sunny position in well drained soil.
Keep one step ahead — what to think about for March:
- Order sweet pea seeds to sow under cloches, in a cold frame, or in a cool room.
- Buy perennial plants like foxgloves
- Order summer bedding plants and soil